Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pancake Mix Recipe

Pancake Mix
2 Cups Powdered Milk (or use powdered buttermilk)
8 Cups Flour (can use 1/2 and 1/2 with Whole Wheat)
3 sticks Margarine (can use real butter)
1/2 Cup baking powder
1 teaspoon Salt (1/2 teaspoon is using Whole Wheat)
1/2 Cup Powdered Egg (Optional) (If you use whole eggs the ratio is approx. 1 Egg per 2 Cups mix)

Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir until well blended.

Melt Margarine (or Butter). Pour over dry ingredients and stir well. When mixture is lumpy and all moisture is absorbed use your hands to finish mixing. The mix is done when it is the consistency of cornmeal.

Heat skillet or griddle until its hot enough that a drop of water will sizzle. Approximately mid heat on your dial.
Scoop out enough mix for the amount you want to make. Add water until mix is consistency of pudding before refrigeration. Do not over mix. A friend, Gem Reed who competes with his pancakes, says the batter should be creamy with small lumps.

At this time you can add your favorite fruit or spices. I like to add my fruit frozen, especially blueberries. When cooked frozen you retain the juices and the berries burst in your mouth.

Pour approx. 1 Cup batter (for large pancakes, or 1/2 Cup for small pancakes) onto hot griddle. Cook until batter has popped most of its bubbles and the edges begin to look dry. Take a peek. If its golden then flip it over. The second side won't take as long. When done scoop onto a plate and enjoy!

This recipe was developed in the Rocky mountains of Wyoming. If you're making these for the flat lands then you may want to add a small amount of flour. Even though I'm now in the flat lands I don't add more flour. That is a personal preference.

Store unused mix in the freezer.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea Kathy! I've been thinking about adding a recipe here and there myself! I have made my own coco and chai mix before. I've never added salt and I wonder if that's not what's been missing! I'm totally going to make the pancake mix! Thank you!! And Happy Birthday! A New Years baby no less!

    ReplyDelete